KEN PALMER MUSIC BURSARY
The Forest City London Music Awards through its Ken Palmer High School Music Bursary program shows strong commitment and encouragement to young musicians graduating from high school to support their post-secondary music education goals at an Ontario college or university. Each year the $1,000 bursary is awarded to two outstanding graduating high school students.
The Bursary was founded in the spring of 2014 by Ian Davies and Mario Circelli to honour the memory of the late Ken Palmer who died in 2013 at the age of 65 (Oct. 5, 1948 – Oct. 30, 2013). Ken was an integral part of the London music scene for more than 40 years as a performer with the Dixie Flyers (FCLMA Hall of Fame), Artistic Director of Home County Music & Art Festival (15 years), and as a music teacher/mentor to many young musicians. After two years of fundraising the first Ken Palmer Music Bursary was awarded in 2016 to Keegan Marshall of H.B. Beal Secondary School. Since then, fouteen more $1,000 bursaries have been awarded.
The FCLMA congratulates these outstanding young students and wish them all the best as they embark on their post-secondary music education journeys.
The FCLMA Board of Directors is grateful for our partnership with Life*Spin so that we can issue tax-deductible receipts for donations to the Ken Palmer High School Music Bursary or send a cheque payable to the Ken Palmer Music Bursary in care of Life*Spin, P.O. Box 2801, London, ON N6A 4H4,
Attention: Jacquie Thompson.
Life*Spin’s registered charitable number is 89196 7069 RR0001. Tax receipts are issued in February of each year.
A complete application must include the following:
- An essay (500 to 1000 words) from the applicant, describing why they would be an appropriate selection for this $1,000.00 CDN bursary.
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s school Music teacher or a Guidance Councillor.
- Letter of intent for continuing post-secondary music education as described.
- Complete contact information.
- Applications will be available online in January 22, 2024 and will be due no later than May 17, 2024. Successful applicants will be recognized during FCLMA London Music Week in June 2024.
- For more information contact Linda Wharton, Co-chair, Ken Palmer Music Bursary firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ken Palmer Music Bursary
throughout the FCLMA catchment area are welcome to Apply!
Thank You To Our Donors
ANGEL DONORS ($200 and Up)
Art & Lil Abbey
Jeff & Louise Carroll
Ian Davies & Kay McIntyre
Ken & Sheila Davies
Suzanne Edmondson & Ian Franklin
Ron & Liz Hicks
Judy Jolliffe in memory of Roger Jolliffe
Jenn & Chico Martin
The Hon. John F. McGarry, QC
Bev & Paul Mills
Peter & Pam Milroy
Nunn’s London Ltd.
Susan Weldon & Barry Margison
Anonymous – 1
DONORS ($20 - $199)
Annie & Carl Grindstaff
James Stewart Reaney
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR KEN PALMER HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC BURSARY RECIPIENTS
The FCLMA Board of Directors gratefully acknowledges the participation and partnership of LifeSpin through which we are able to issue tax deductible receipts for donations to the FCLMA Ken Palmer Bursary. The FCLMA and LifeSpin helping to make a difference in our community.